Friday, January 10, 2014

Finds of Old

9th of January morning meander

I love to go rambling through shops that have reclaimed pieces of furniture & fittings, household items, doors, windows, planks and more.  I especially love dated items such as old butter churners, bottles, enamelware, tins, old cups & saucers and so on.  On one such browsing morning I photographed some items that caught my eye and had I the money, I may well have bought a lot of these.  I saw a complete kitchen for sale for R15000 which I think is typically the Johannesburg price as down in Port Elizabeth at a shop called Smitty’s, you would probably pay half of that.  It looked like 1950’s style as all the cupboard doors & drawers were metal.  I especially loved the wall unit for cups & saucers, it had sliding doors and inside a little shelf just for the cups.  If I was redoing a kitchen, this would be a definite buy.  I would replace the tops with the modern granite and fit the sink unit with a farm style butler sink.  It was very difficult to photograph and capture the beauty of the units of this old kitchen, but here they are.



 Look at that cute shelf just for your cups. Some new shelving paper, a new coat of paint and this would be such a pretty kitchen unit.


Old kitchen units oozing with charm!








Old effects have such charm, beauty & history, given a re-paint, fitted with a newly sewn cushion, re-wired gives new life to an old forgotten and discarded piece of treasure.
Bread Slicer

Kitchen Scales


A delightful array of eye candy

Old Headboards

Something I fancy buying

A cute turquoise painted table



Coal St
Old Butter Churner
If you fancy a little trip to such a shop, the one I visited is called Independent-traders, Salvage, Antiques, Furniture in Johannesburg.  Their website is www.independent-traders.co.za


No comments:

Post a Comment