Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mothers Day!

A Mother's love is something
that no on can explain,
It is made of deep devotion
and of sacrifice and pain,
It is endless and unselfish
and enduring come what may
For nothing can destroy it
or take that love away . . .
It is patient and forgiving
when all others are forsaking,
And it never fails or falters
even though the heart is breaking . . .
It believes beyond believing
when the world around condemns,
And it glows with all the beauty
of the rarest, brightest gems . . .
It is far beyond defining,
it defies all explanation,
And it still remains a secret
like the mysteries of creation . . .
A many splendoured miracle
man cannot understand
And another wondrous evidence
of God's tender guiding hand.
                                                                                       - Helen Steiner Rice

My mother was always there when I came home from school and needed a listening ear.  We often thought in sync, when it came to “what shall I make for supper tonight?”  Shopping at Pick n’ Pay was always so special, I remember trying out a new chocolate almost every time, a Tex, Bar One, Crunchie, Lunch Bar, and Caravan etc.  Our selections were not as great and confusing as today back then, so we had soon tried them all out.  My mom’s favourite was always the Bar One or something chocolaty with toffee in the centre.

My mom made the most delicious "vetkoek" and crumpets and even though baking was never her favourite, she passed those lovely recipes on to me. It’s  not just those two recipes as there many others too.  
My mother never needed to worry where I was concerned; I did enough worrying for the two of us!  We loved movie night, I especially as I got  myself all comfortable on the couch and then have a glorious sleep right through the whole movie!  
When my dad went away on business trips, we always ended eating something with curry in as my dad was never fond of “hot” food.  I especially loved the beans and roti.  
My mom is a creature of habit and let me tell you, make sure you put things back where they belong.  The scissors belonged in it’s drawer in it’s compartment, the cellotape belonged on a shelf in her study in a certain spot, her pens in the stationery holder and a slab of chocolate possibly in her top drawer : - ).  One generally knew where she kept everything in the house, I was often asked whether I had seen something she was looking for and could most times successfully direct her to it.
 Macaroni and Cheese was our Saturday night supper regular, Hot dogs for lunch on a Saturday alternated with hamburgers and I think savoury mince on a Monday night.  I can still not get my hamburgers to taste as juicy and good as hers. 

 There are many more stories and they are like treasures in my treasure box.  Happy Mothers day today Mommy, you are a treasure to me.  Enjoy your present when it arrives; remember to send me a photo of it!



No comments:

Post a Comment